Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Not That Easy

When I first came to the place, I heard horror stories about what my boss was like. I was actually in her office when she lost her temper with an employee. If words had edges, the employee would have been standing in a pool of her own blood. I promised myself never to get on my boss's bad side. Nothing, not even the greatest frustration was worth running into her on a bad day. I kept that promise very well. I always speak nicely to her in the hallways. I have all my reports in on time to her seceretary. I make sure I am not one of the last people out of the office for breakfast so she wouldn't single me out.

Ashamed of myself, I started seeing myself in all my cowardly glory. I'm consumed with things on the job that I have no control over. I would spend precious creative energy finding solutions to problems that haven't happened yet!

Just wondering.. Is it impossible to create a sound relationship with such boss? we don't have to be best friends, but I think we have to interact like colleagues.