Tuesday, June 21, 2005


Perfume - The Story of a Murderer By Patrick Suskind
Posted by Hello

I read this book while I was away based on the recommendations by two friends of mine, not expecting anything extraordinary. At first I started flipping through pages with no curiosity, as I went further; I have found myself unable to let it down and finished it in 2 days. And such thing didn't happen for me in quite some time ( since I don't usually read novel books).

It is the fascinating and horrifying tale of "Grenouille", a person as gifted as he was abominable, obsessed and insane. Born without a smell of his own, with no scent and an unbelievable sense of smell. A person who never should have existed at the first place… However, you cannot hate him and maybe that is what frightens me in this novel. How can you hate something that does not have any kind of moral code, yet it craves for beauty …Beauty that he finds in smells.

The more I was amazed by this book, the more confused I was as I wondered how can one care for beauty and neglect life at the same time. He chose to separate between the two things but can such separation exist?!

Some stories you just don't forget, even if you don't totally like them (for sometimes it was so disgusting to read some events). This is one of those (at least to me) even though it has been an international best seller. When a colleague of mine asked me whether to read it or not I said: If you are anything like me, this story won't creep you out like the lines of "Silence of the Lambs"..instead you will be watching some strange goings-on. Worth reading :)