Friday, September 09, 2005

Self Confidence Or Competence ?!

My sister "N" said something to me last night that got me thinking. She said, "You shouldn't judge your level of competence by other people's accomplishments" She is so incredibly right. Why do we look at what other's have done, or what they know, and let it remind ourselves what we don't know, or haven't done? Why is it so hard for me to be proud of my level of education, proud of my career choices, proud of my abilities to learn new things myself, pick beautiful clothes :p, instead of constantly feeling as though I don't measure up to -some- others? Is this inherent human nature? Are those feelings part of our instinct to strive for achievement? Certainly points to ponder.


I wonder, if I didn't have feelings of inadequacy sometimes, would I would strive to better myself?