Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Going With the Flow...


It’s all Greek to me. And people set during Ramadan is just bothering me.

When people think that just because they’re fasting they can do A LOT of things. They pray a lot and don’t work… and the big problem is that they really believe that what they’re doing is the right thing. Basically, I don’t like the feeling that we’re the best in Ramadan and the worst in other months, I don’t like seeing people believing in this.

Jeddah during Ramadan is crazy. The streets are full of people, the traffic is at a standstill, and people are very nervous, lose their temper and even swear at each other. People will always excuse it by just saying “ ana sayem/a” (it’s because I’m fasting) which is just a lame excuse.

Here at work, everyone is so lazy. Just go into any office and you’ll find the people looking like they’re on drugs or something. Dead eyes, dry lips and usually with their heads resting on the desk. I once went to ask a colleague for specific work to be done; she just gave me a look to kill! Like she was saying: “How dare you! This is Ramadan! “.

I hate taxi drivers when they spit outside the car as they try not “ yebla3o reeghom”. They think by this way they’re protecting their fasting. Typical!

And I hate being stuck in front of TV for long hours, doing nothing but watching crappy shows instead of making good use of this time.

I don’t like the dramatic change in our religious behavior before and after Iftar... Before people are peaceful, behaving obediently …after Iftar everything is allowed again.

No way to explain how helpless I feel when fasting and looking around me to find people totally unaware that it’s Ramadan. I feel like calling out ‘Hey everyone, it’s Ramadan’ I feel like they’re making me go with the flow and miss out in all the barakah.


I love Ramadan…but hate a lot of dumb things people are doing by the name of Ramadan.